HELP!!! - Physical Keyboard No Longer Working! Windows 8.1

Touch-It not working as expected? Report problems and share solutions!
jeffh420

HELP!!! - Physical Keyboard No Longer Working! Windows 8.1

Postby jeffh420 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:10 pm

I installed Touch-It yesterday to test it out, then uninstalled it using the proper uninstaller via Control Panel - Programs and Features, then ran the Touch-It uninstaller.

Today, my physical keyboard is no longer working!!! It's only not working in my user profile as I can use the keyboard pre-authentication to type in my username & password.

I tried re-installing Touch-It and then uninstalling it again and that is no help.

PLEAE HELP!!!

chessware
Site Admin

Re: HELP!!! - Physical Keyboard No Longer Working! Windows 8

Postby chessware » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:22 pm

Touch-It is just a desktop application and has nothing to do with the physical keyboard. It does not install drivers or alter the system in any way.

jeffh420

Postby jeffh420 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:07 am

It didn't do anything physically to the keyboard, I understand that.

But I can type to enter my username and password, but when I log in and my user profile loads, the physical keyboard input is being ignored by the OS. That means that there was a change made by the software to the user section of the registry.

Unless the software makes no registry changes whatsoever to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which I doubt, then Touch-It is responsible for this and I would like to see what registry entries your software changes upon installation and what it is supposed to revert to upon removing it.

jeffh420

Postby jeffh420 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:09 am

When I log off of the computer, I can type in another username/password, log in as a different user and the keyboard works perfectly.

Please either document your registry changes here, or send me a direct message with what changes are made so I can reverse the change manually.

Uninstalling the software did not reverse the changes as it should have.

Thank you.

chessware
Site Admin

Postby chessware » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 am

Touch-It is installed system wide and not on a per user basis. Changes happen to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE only.

Your issue sounds more like you turned on "Filter keys". To figure this out, please press and hold the right shift key for 8 seconds or go to Control panel -> Ease of access center -> Make the keyboard easier to use and untick "Turn on Filter Keys".

jeffh420

Postby jeffh420 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 am

Thank you for letting me know where to look.

First of all, yes your solution definitely does add a hive in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as "Chessware" would not show up if you didn't. So to say that your product doesn't make any changes to HKEY_CU would not be accurate.

I did look in Ease of Access Center and you were correct that Filter Keys was enabled. However I have never ever used the Ease of Access Control Panel...ever.

It's very coincidental that I would install your product and that Filter Keys setting would be modified in the same time frame.

I am going to use Sysinternals procmon.exe to capture the registry changes that are made when your product is installed and uninstalled to see if I can capture what changes are made.

Thankfully my keyboard is working again. I do appreciate your help with fixing the issue. I still don't understand how a setting like Filter Keys just happened to be enabled around the same time as installing and uninstalling Touch-It.

It's good that this is now documented in the event that any other Chessware customers run into this issue.

chessware
Site Admin

Postby chessware » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:53 pm

First of all, yes your solution definitely does add a hive in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as "Chessware" would not show up if you didn't.
No, we don't. The OS does (eg. MuiCache).
I did look in Ease of Access Center and you were correct that Filter Keys was enabled. However I have never ever used the Ease of Access Control Panel...ever.
Holding the right shift key then. Going to Ease of access is not required.
I am going to use Sysinternals procmon.exe to capture the registry changes that are made when your product is installed and uninstalled to see if I can capture what changes are made.
Feel free.
It's good that this is now documented in the event that any other Chessware customers run into this issue.
It is not a Touch-It issue. Just search the web and you'll see that you're not the first one to encounter this ;)

Return to “Problems and solutions”